Think of changing your mindset like you would change a tire. Charge your battery and put some gas in your tank. Life is a journey use your GPS to create your own path. The following quotes can be helpful:
- If you don't design
your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess
what they have planned for you? Not much. Jim Rohn
- When you reach the end
of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt
I Am the Black Child
I am special, ridicule cannot sway me
I am strong, obstacles cannot stop me
I hold my head high, proudly proclaiming my uniqueness
I hold my pace, continuing forward through adversity
I am proud of my heritage
I am confident that I can achieve my every goal.
I am becoming all that I can be
I am the Black Child, I am a Child of God
There are times when things go wrong in
our lives. We feel that the ground is shifting under our feet. We can't find a limb to hold on too. We feel as if we are drowning. It is at this time we must rely on our inner
strength. We have to do some positive self-talk. We have to keep some nuggets in our pockets to
pull out when the struggle become overwhelming.
Against the Odds Scholarship Recipient
You can make it if you try!
We are pleased to award Malachi Swindler a Scholarship to apply towards
his academics at North Carolina A&T State University. He is all settled in at college and working
towards an Engineering Degree.
We have watched Malachi’s journey, provided mentoring
services, supported him with referrals when needed and has been his biggest
cheerleader. What makes this award so special is that he became known to us as a boy who wanted direction and sort
out help from two partners with Pitt County Family Development Corp.
It's All About Attitude! Let us work on our ABC’s
Attitude and Behavior Challenge us to be our best self.
Merriam Webster defines attitude, behavior and challenge in the following way:
settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something,
typically one that is reflected in a person's behavior.
is the way
in which one acts or conducts oneself, especially toward others.
A Challenge is something that puts you to the test —
like standing up for oneself.
The Woodson Center
Pitt County Family Development Corporation, Inc., is proud to be a part of this organization. The Woodson Center works with nonprofits to empower leaders through resources, to access funding, provide leadership development training and technical assistance to uplift neighborhoods.
It is exciting to come together via Zoom to talk with other nonprofits and to hear about programs and projects they are undertaking. It is through this type of engagement that nonprofits feel inspired rather than feeling they are alone with the needs being so great.
Take Care of Yourself
July is Mental Health Awareness Month.
We know that there are times when we are just not okay. Please know that it's normal and it's okay. We need to learn how to take care of ourselves, reach out to professionals if need be.
Tchiki Davis, Ph.D., states that It’s so important to make sure you take good
care of your body, mind, and soul every day, not just when you get sick.
Learning how to eat right, reduce stress, exercise
regularly, and take a time-out when you need it are touchstones of
self-care and can help you stay healthy, happy, and
RULES TO TEACH YOUR SON:
1. Never shake a man’s hand, sitting down.
2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.
3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
5. Request the late check out.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
9. Play with passion or don’t play at all…
10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
Get Home Safely: 10 Rules
1. Be polite and respectful when stopped
by the police. Keep your mouth closed.
2. Remember that your goal is to get home
safely. If you feel that your rights have been violated, you and your parents
have the right to file a formal complaint with your local police
3. Don’t, under any circumstance, get
into an argument with the police.
4. Always remember that anything you say
or do can be used against you in court.
My Life Matter
You are off to a good start. Stand boldly, declare your right to life, liberty and pursuing your happiness in a world of challenges. How can this be accomplished?
- Surround yourself with a diverse group of people. This will help you develop a world view.
- Be careful that your circle of friend do not do you any harm.
- Find yourself a mentor and learn from them.
- Reach for attainable goals.
- Be patient. Your goals can take a while to achieve.
- There are no short cuts in the game called life.