While school is out for the summer, it can be a great time to prepare your children for school in the fall. The coming year will be a challenge for parents, teachers and students. There is just a lot of uncertainty. Will school open as we know it? Will there be a schedule shift such as alternate days for half the class, a shorter day, etc.?
Now is the time to prepare your children for a different type of school experience. Have your children been wearing masks? If not, let them start wearing mask when they are out. Please explain the real season we wear mask. Make sure you are helping your children make washing hands the "cool" thing to do. Help them practice social distancing. While kids natural instinct is to run and hug their friend, model virtual hugs and throwing air kisses. Encourage them to continue to share their snacks by breaking half of a cookie or sandwich but do not drink milk or juice behind each other.
The goal is to teach safety but not to scare them. Therefore model the behavior you want by first, being a good role model yourself. Remember, kids learn what you teach.
Now for the fun stuff:
1. Go on bike rides.
2. Pack a bag for lunch and have a picnic in the park.
3. Encourage them to express themselves with chalk on your driveway. A water hose will clean it up in no time.
4. Explore your neighborhood. Make a scavenger hunt game. There is so much material in your backyard in and your neighborhood.
5. Set up for a movie outside. A sheet, the X-Box, blankets and chairs and of course the popcorn, drinks and some hot dogs.
6. Take in a concert in the park. Make sure you can social distance. Relax and enjoy!
7. Add other ideas. The sky is the limit with your imagination.