I had an epiphany today about lemons and lemonade. Often people are encouraged to make the best of a bad situation; “Make lemonade out of lemons” as the adage goes. Just accept that your choice is either to take the lemons or make lemonade. Today I ask why? Why should I take your lemons? Why should I drink the Kool-Aid? Moreover, why am I soaking up your gravy when I do not like the bread or the sausage? Furthermore, I might not even like lemonade, Kool-Aid or gravy. Thus, if I make lemonade out of your lemons, my positions of power become weaken. I become reactionary. I react to what you throw my way. Rather than being the Master Chef, creating my own beverage recipe. So what do I do with the lemons?
1. When life throws you lemons, duck. Move yourself out of the path of an unpleasant situation. Or you will get knock down. Do not allow others to dictate your course in life.
2. When life hands you lemons, shake them off. It is okay not to take other people’s “stuff”. It will make you stronger, better, tougher, even more valuable to those who need your support and guidance by declining “stuff.”
3. When life gives you lemons, refuse them. Why take something that might not suit your appetite. Push back from an unhealthy table of disappointment, bad relationship, financial woes, an unfulfilling job, etc.
4. When life slips you lemons, expose them quickly. Hold out the stop sign. Let it be known that you are wise to other people trickery. Declare that you will not be victimized.
5. When life pitches you lemons, throw them into the gutter. Discard other people’s negativity. Stand on positive energy. Catch that winning spirit and enjoy a strawberry smoothie. Who says you have to make lemonade. How about popcorn instead?