Pitt County Family Development Corporation, Inc.   - Freeman Consulting Group

Relationship
Relationships
powered by

My Blog

Sticks, Stones and Bones

Stop!  Think Before You Speak:  Words Can Hurt
Ugly, fatso, stupid, fag, nappy, black, nerd, weird, bad, lazy, crybaby, dummy, loser, moron, sissy, chicken, etc.  What do these words have in common?  They are small words, with big implications.  They hurt!  Children were taught, “Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt.” However, they can surely break hearts.  The truth is, harsh and mean spirited words can be just as deadly to our self esteem as weapons drawn against us.
According to scriptures,  In Ephesians 4:19, Paul reminds us,  it is okay to be angry, but don't sin--don't use damaging words, condemn or tear down someone's self-esteem.  The sin doesn't lie in the expression of anger, but in the way we use it.  We can choose to express anger in healthy or unhealthy ways--in ways that heal or hurt.  There is a difference between getting angry and being an angry person.  When the expression of anger dominates our life and personality we are no longer a person with anger, but an angry person.
Proverbs 12:18 says, "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Reckless words can rip the ones we love into pieces.  Words that build up and are patient, kind, good, gentle and loving create peace.
James 3:2-12 says the human tongue can do so much damage. It can ruin friendships, cause misunderstandings and put a wall between brothers and sisters. We have all been guilty of saying hurtful things. We must be ever mindful that what we say can damage and cause divisions. Before speaking, remember; words can ruin. Words can damage; words can kill. Words can demolish reputations and destroy relationships.
Consequently, Stop! Think Before You Speak:  Words Can Hurt.  Below are a few suggestions to help you avoid saying something you might regret.
·         Step back from the situation to help you to quiet your emotions.
  • Deep breathing can help to clear your mind.
  • Practice relaxing techniques.
  • Remain calm.
  • Replace a negative image with a positive one.
  • Counting to ten
  • Walk away from the situation.

Remember the Golden Rule:  Do unto other as you will have others do unto you. Also as mom use to stay, "If you can't say anything good about a person, keep you mouth shut!"

9 Comments to Sticks, Stones and Bones:

Comments RSS
Ophelia on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:57 AM
Wow! You are so right. People that are torn down inside are usually the type of person that get enjoyment out of hurting others. So how does a person that is miserable inside learn to be tactful? Or just be nicer? Or they could honestly not know any better because they are from another country. A good example is my gma, she tells me I'm fat every single time I see her! She does it to strangers also. Our family gets so embarassed by it. I actually stopped visiting so much because of it. How Do you tell a person like that that they are hurting your feelings in a nice way? Especially a respected elder. Because like you said it can ruin an important relationship.
Reply to comment

Minerva D. Freeman on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:49 PM
Thanks for responding to my blog. It is difficult to express yourself to family members, especially when they are your elders and you have a deep emotional attachment to them. I feel that a calm and honest response is in order. Perhaps saying: "Grandmom, thanks for being concerned about my weight but you hurt my feeling when you only see my size instead of my worth. Can we agree from now on, my weight is off limits." Since she does it to everyone, perhaps you all can warn guest that this might be a topic of conversation and everyone just look over her comments with love. In other words, charge it to her head and not her heart. Remember, it is up to you to define yourself instead of others. Look in the mirror everyday and see a beautiful you.

Layojewelrycom on Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:38 PM
wonderful issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What may you suggest in regards to your put up that you made a few days ago? Any sure?
Reply to comment

paper bag machinery on Friday, May 17, 2013 10:34 AM
Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to send you an email. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.
Reply to comment

beijing to tibet on Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:41 PM
I beloved up to you will obtain performed proper here. The cartoon is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you would like be handing over the following. ill surely come more beforehand once more as precisely the same nearly a lot continuously within case you defend this hike.
Reply to comment

sexy bikini sale on Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:49 AM
I like the topic that you have been discussed.Thanks a lot for posting.My regards to you.
Reply to comment

Dr. Powell:  Diabetes Reversal on Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:16 PM
This figure is even higher in minority communities. It’s normal to feel scared, lost, depressed and anger after losing a job.The stress of job loss and unemployment can take a toll on your health. It is important to take care of yourself. It means looking after your physical and emotional needs and managing your stress level.
Reply to comment

title loans on Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:06 PM
If you are considering the payday progresses, you must have been defying certain request. Nevertheless, it is best to find the reactions for them. To be perfectly honest, it is sharp to look before you hop. Subsequently essentially encounter the going hand in hand with lines.
Reply to comment

mens sport watches on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 11:41 PM
I impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a weblog that' both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you will have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. I am very glad that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing regarding this.
Reply to comment