Pitt County Family Development Corporation, Inc.   - Freeman Consulting Group

Parenting
Relationship
Relationships
powered by

My Blog

To a Healthy 2012

Re-post from a year ago.  I believe it is still relevant.

Healthy and Soulful in 2011
by Minerva D. Freeman on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 8:18am

Hats off to a Healthy New Year!
An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in.  A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. ~Bill Vaughan

“Keep the soul in your heart and the health in your life”
Soul food is tasty, simple, hearty, and rooted in tradition.  Many soul food recipes - succulent fried chicken, sweet potato pie, rich macaroni and cheese, sloppy barbecue ribs and meats, and ham hock collard greens with pork fat -- have been passed down over the generations and include cooking ingredients that we know today are not healthy for us to eat in large quantities. You want to honor tradition yet maintain your health. So what should you do?
An occasional, traditional, soul food, meal at holiday gatherings and celebrations is probably not going to hurt you in the long run and that you should live your life in balance. However if you want to eat these foods regularly, here's what we found:

Traditional soul food can cause:
- Obesity
- High Cholesterol
- Diabetes
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Problems
 Problems with traditional soul food:
- High in calories
- Foods cooked with lard & saturated fat
- Recipes heavily seasoned with salt and sugar
- Use of fatty meats
- High in cholesterol
Some Traditional soul food can be healthy:
- Collard greens - good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Sweet Potatoes - excellent source of beta-carotene
- Meats -- supply daily protein and B vitamins
 If you choose to eat a traditional soul food meal, try to do the following:
- Exercise
- Make your next meal one filled with fiber
- Drink tea
- Avoid bad foods, fast food, and sodas

Have a Healthy 2012!

13 Comments to To a Healthy 2012:

Comments RSS
sensa on Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:42 AM
like this post and thumps up for taking the time to discuss about this health topic.
Reply to comment

Minerva D. Freeman on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:13 AM
Thank you for posting a comment.

Phenocal on Friday, March 30, 2012 3:35 AM
I must say this is quite interesting Information. It was very pleased to find this site. I want to thank you for this great read!!
Reply to comment

Minerva D. Freeman on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:15 AM
That you for viewing my post. Keep in touch.

weightlosspunch.com on Friday, February 08, 2013 3:31 AM
Many types of health care interventions are delivered outside of health facilities. They include many interventions of public health interest, such as food safety surveillance, distribution of condoms and needle-exchange programmes for the prevention of transmissible diseases. Thanks.
Reply to comment

Sports Nutrition on Monday, March 18, 2013 2:56 AM
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.
Reply to comment

Anonymous on Friday, May 17, 2013 11:50 AM
Hello.This post was really motivating, especially because I was investigating for thoughts on this matter last Sunday.
Reply to comment

biolite stove on Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:29 AM
Usually the Pocket Rocket Camping out Stove is the latest supreme execution on minimalist construction. The small in addition sturdy stove weighs about in at these are three ounces and quantifies 4.1 inches tall in height by two inches wide. Usually the Pocket Rocket is impressive in action, capable of each of the the cooking related with a traditional car-camp stovess, but at portion of of the as well as weight.

tankless water heater on Monday, June 17, 2013 5:44 AM
Homeowners can get thirty percent off any affected person qualified purchase- presently there thousands of appliances and other things around the house that qualify. Homeowners can get up to $1500 began to allow their tax reunite on improvement produced in the principle host to resident." good are perfect examples. Want to know Energy Saver Web-based site, will assist you to calculate your energy use and operating costs in your building.
Reply to comment

Click to read more on Monday, July 29, 2013 11:58 PM
Here's to a healthier 2013! Your tips on eating veggies will always be effective and cannot be disputed.
Reply to comment

Dr. Driscoll: Casper Neck Pain on Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:09 PM
It is good absorb information, i read three times all off your articles,expressly i like this article because this here content is too meaningful and very interesting,keep more articles like this.Good
Reply to comment

garcinia cambogia extract on Monday, February 10, 2014 1:16 AM
I am convinced to understand that you are all most there.....Really, I have got an wholeheartedly crucial facts and numbers which I wouldn't realize. But now, I have understand about you so, I am cooperative to you. Thanks!If you want i will provide you garcinia cambogia daily. Because it is natural healthy product.
Reply to comment

high end watch brands on Thursday, January 01, 2015 8:05 AM
I was just searching for this information for a while. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don't rank this type of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.
Reply to comment