Pitt County Family Development Corporation, Inc.   - Freeman Consulting Group

Parenting
Relationship
Relationships
powered by

My Blog

Get off that Nail!

Is there anything in your life that you want to change, improve or eliminate? Are you doing anything about it or are you stuck on a nail?

One day a man was lost in the woods. He followed a straight path.  As he walked, which seemed like hours, he hear a strange noise. Curiosity got the better of him so he followed the noise. He eventually came upon a shack and saw an old man sitting on the porch rocking, off to the side; he noticed a dog and discovered where the noise was coming from.  He asked the man, "What’s wrong with your dog?"  The man replied, "He is sitting on a nail."
Why doesn't he move ask the lost man?  To that the old man said something profound.  He is not hurting badly enough.

How badly do you want something?  Are you ready to move off your nail? We often feel a great deal of pain, but the fear of doing something different is so frightening, that we are willing to endure the pain of just staying put.

Over the next few days, pay attention to the areas in your life where you want to make a change.

• Select one change you would like to make.
  • Write it down.
  • Do one task that will bring you closer to getting off that nail!

10 Comments to Get off that Nail!:

Comments RSS
Cassandra on Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:09 AM
I love that...I have definitely been inspired today to move forward to complete some more goals. I'm getting off my nail right now!
Reply to comment

Ophelia on Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:02 AM
I understand that point & it is hard to do. Especially for minorities. Personally when I want something in life I simply work & go get it. I don't let anything stop me. I just come from a family that taught me that "a person can do ANYTHING in this life, it just depends on how much you want it"-grandmother. Okay so we recently moved from a neighborhood which was filled with people that were "on the nail". These pepople would literally sit home and do drugs all day & collect welfare. But is it their fault that they became sorry folks? Yes & No. Most of them, almost all, were just repeating behaviors they saw as children. If you were to talk to these folks most were depressed & unfortunately didn't begin to know how to do better. This is the problem! There has to be someone to tell these people that there is more to life than living on goverment assistance and doing drugs all day! Unfortunately welfare programs make it hard for people to become independent. Let's say a person finds a little job making 600 bucks a month. Congrats to them! What happens next in this person's life? Their medicaid, foodstamps get cut off & their bills go up. Now this person is broker than they were on AFDC or TANF. So most likely the person quits to find a better job that pays a lot more. In this economy its hard to find that job. I'm 28 & I've learned the American dream is possible but harder for some folks, especially urban, low-income mixed families. And it's funny because foreigners come over to the U.S & work together, in families, to get everyone stable. They ALWAYS do what they came here for. What does that say about us as natural citizens?! I always wanted to help my community by educating people in my community, give them a boost, let them know they can do anything they want in this life!
Reply to comment

Minerva D. Freeman on Monday, June 06, 2011 11:35 PM
Thank you for the comments. You show deep compassion for people. Sometimes it seems the harder people try, the deeper they are set back. I know you can not save the world. That was a lesson I had to learn as a social worker. What I discover was to take care of myself first. Then I would have the strength to extend a hand to others. Sometimes our biggest help to others is to set an example for them by accomplishing our goals. In doing so, we show others that they to can reach their goals. I think you did that with completing your education. Some people would have given up, but you were steadfast and you finished. There is someone out there that will use you as their example.

Minerva D. Freeman on Monday, June 06, 2011 11:42 PM
Thank you for viewing my post. I am happy you are motivated to get off your nail. It is amazing that we can be in a uncomfortable position, "sitting on a nail", however we perceive the unknown as more painful. There are times we must find courage to tackle the unknown in order to reach the goal. Sometimes our relief is just in our roll over, just changing position.

topptwatches on Friday, October 25, 2013 9:51 PM
oh yeah ,you are the best post. http://www.topptwatches.co.uk

group tours on Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:55 PM
Hello there, You have performed a great job. I'll definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this site.
Reply to comment

tibet travel experience on Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:01 AM
That is the correct weblog for anyone who wants to search out out about this topic. You notice a lot its almost arduous to argue with you (not that I really would need�HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!
Reply to comment

bellabluestudio on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:05 PM
Thank you for any other wonderful post. The place else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect method of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the search for such info.
Reply to comment

nike air max 87 womens shoes on Monday, June 03, 2013 1:37 AM
to feedback the drivers to thank for their supportance, nike air max launched a seires of nike air max 95 simply just for girls alike air max 24 7 Nike Air Max 2010 mens shoes and nike air shoes for men etc totally 31 sorts of Shoes . the series have melt the exquisite Fluted mesh lining in the nike air max 2011 womens shoes . plus the Fluted mesh
Reply to comment

aussie essay services on Friday, May 04, 2018 1:31 AM
That person was surely having good sense of humor from which he has been able to get out of the woods so far. It was an obvious thing that he was supposed to do when he was facing problem in woods.
Reply to comment